Custom module: entity/model not updating using translations

• Let's see how can I explain this.

I have a Testimonials module. This module will have translations. And I added in the TestimonialsServiceProvider a trigger, so when I create a new testimonial, it modifies a column in a table.

The problem is, on updating. If I modify the testimonial, only the testimonials__testimonial_translations table is affected, but the timestamps on testimonials__testimonials are not, so there're no events fired when the model is updated/saved. I guess that's because only the TestimonialTranslation model is affected, and not the 'parent' Testimonial. (But I think the parent model should be aware).

Which relation I'm missing... and where do I have to put it? on the Testimonial entity? on the TestimonialTranslation entity? On both?

I'm a bit lost here, because I don't see a direct relation between the model and the translation model... Actually I'm missing what exactly does the Dimsav\Translatable\Translable class is doing in the entity declaration... (Well it does manage the translations)

• @zedee

AutoSolved:

This is not an AsgardCMS issue / question, but from how the relations are made on the Entities.

So, for others looking for this, the TestimonialTranslation entity should look like this:

<?php namespace Modules\Testimonials\Entities;

use Illuminate\Database\Eloquent\Model;

class TestimonialTranslation extends Model
    {	
        public $timestamps = false;

protected $fillable = [
            'testimonial_id',
            'title',
            'content'
        ];
        protected $table = 'testimonials__testimonial_translations';

protected $touches = ['news'];  // THIS enables 'touching' (updates timestamps) on the 'parent' model.

// And we make the relation with the model we want to touch
        public function testimonial() 
        {
            return $this->belongsTo(Testimonial::class);
        }
    }

And that's it! :)

• Global Moderator

@zedee

Yeah if i remember correctly dimsav/laravel-translatable does not touch parents timestamps out of the box.
    But you can try and use $touches attribute on model.

Should go something like this (in translation entity)

use Modules\Testimonials\Entities\Testimonial;

protected protected $touches = ['testimonial'];

public function testimonial()
    {
         return $this->belongsTo(Testimonial::class);
    }

Same minute posts :D

• @armababy

Haha, yes! We both answered at same time... :D

I investigated a bit and found the solution by myself... (well, actually I found this):

https://github.com/dimsav/laravel-translatable/issues/239

I also thought the updating was doing out-of-the box.

By the way... I know it's time consuming, but would be possible to make a screencast like the one published (the testimonials one), but with translations? All details like this one, can bring confusion to newcomers...
    Or make a tutorial? Well, perhaps I'd be able to do by myself, but I may be wrong on some stuff as I don't know a deep knowledge of the CMS innerings...

• thanks for the post I also have the same "issue" didn't have time so far to focus on it ! I know how to do now :)

Looks like your connection to AsgardCms was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.